Communities and Territories
ARTISTS: Ursula Biemann (Switzerland), Atelier Van Lieshout (Netherlands),
Aldo Runfola (Italia), Franco Vaccari (Italia), Pavel Braila (Moldavia), Stefan Rusu (Moldavia), Version Magazine (Mircea Cantor, Ciprian Muresan, Gabriela Vanga) (Romania), Dan Perjovschi (Romania), Razvan Ion + Critical Factor (Romania), Calin Dan (Romania), Pawel Althamer (Poland), Gzregorz Klaman (Poland), Medusa Group (Poland), Deimantas Narkevicius (Vilnus).
From the centre to the Baltic
After a first fase in Larissa/Thessaly (Greece) the second event of GOING PUBLIC ’05 will take place in Modena and Formigine (15th October/30th Novembre 2005), and will form the basis for a set of cultural and economic exchanges between East ad West across the new European territories. This will take place with a network of partners and artists coming largely from ex-Soviet countries (Rumania, Moldova, Poland, Lithuania, etc..). After tracing the lines which cross the Mediterranean from Gibraltar to Cyprus, to the Middle East, Modena will be the stage for the works along the vertical line (that from the Balkans to the Baltic) which divided Europe into two halves.
curato da Claudia Zanfi/aMAZE lab
MODENA: 15th October/ 30th November 2005
AN EVENING with FILMS and the PRESENATION OF PUBLICATIONS.
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 15, a special evening as part as the cultural project, GOING PUBLIC, which is currently taking place in Modena and Formigine (October 15 – November 30, 2005), and investigates themes of cultural and economic exchange between East and West within the new European framework.
At 9pm at Cinema 7B, via N.Abate 46 in Modena,there will be an evening of presentations of video works e publications on that theme si svolgerà una serata di presentazione di opere video e di pubblicazioni sul tema.
Presentation of the film/documentary TRANS:it, (40’) a journey through European art and culture from Rotterdam to Istanbul, curated by the Fondazione Adriano Olivetti and introduced by Bartolomeo Pietromarchi, the artistic director e creator of the project, who comes to Modena for the first time.
Followed by the projection of the film Sample City (12’) by Calin Dan on the human and urban geographies of Bucarest, Romania.
And finally on the big screen, Lontano da….., (11’), the latest video work by Franco Vaccari, created and produced specifically for Going Public’05, and dealing with the Romanian community of Modena, united through the Greek Orthodox Church, located near via Emilia Est, and their feelings of distance from their home.
At the end of the evening, there will also be the introduction of publications produced in coordination with of Going Public ’05, edited by Claudia Zanfi:
"Communities and Territories
published by the LCAC of Larissa ( Greece)
Essays by: Carlos Basualdo, Reinaldo Laddaga, Michel de Certeau, Yorgos Tzirtzilakis, Marietica Potrc, Angela Vettese, Marti Peran, Zizis Kotionis, Roula Palanta, Fabiana De Barros, Pablo Leon de la Barra, Filippo Fabbrica, and Michelangelo Pistoletto
"From the Balkans to the Baltic"
published by Silvana Editoriale, Milan, Italy
Essays by: Stefano Boeri, Paul Domela, Zygmunt Bauman, Slawek Sierakowski, Michael Wilson, Sebastian Cichocki, Stefan Tiron, Bart Lootsma, Liviana Dan, Mihnea Mircan, Lev Manovich, Mihai Oroveanu, Lilia Dragneva, Cosmin Costinas, and Aneta Szylak.
"Version Magazine" a tabloid created by Mircea Cantor, Cirpian Muresan, and Gabriela Vaga on Italian/Romanian relations
- Postacards from the border, a publication which came to fruition after a series of workshops on territory.
The event is promoted and supported by Province of Modena
in collaboration with:
Assessorato Cultura di Formigine, CentoStazioni, Dopo Lavoro Ferroviario, Biblioteca Civica Delfini, Ketucon Phone Center, Cinema 7B.
With support by Comune di Formigine, PRO-HELVETIA and BIM Banca Intermobiliare.
Media partners: Nuova Gazzetta di Modena, Drome Magazine, Modena Radio City.
With the patronage of:
- Ministry of Culture, Rome
- Regione Emilia Romagna
- Fondazione Pistoletto, Biella,
- Fondazione Adriano Olivetti, Rome
- Connecting Cultures, Milan,
- Deste Foundation, Athens
- Ministry of Arts, Athens
- Contemporary Arts Centre, Larissa
- Progress Wyspa Foundation, Gdansk
- Art and Time Foundation, Warsaw
- Claudia Zanfi, artistic direction MAST (Museo di Arte Sociale e Territoriale)
- Luigi Benedetti, Presidenza Provincia di Modena
- Lauretta Longagnani, Assessorato Cultura Provincia di Modena
- Bartolomeo Pietromarchi, direzione Fondazione Olivetti, Roma
- Carlos Basualdo, curatore NYC + Biennale Venezia
- Paul Domela, direttore Biennale Liverpool
- Anna Detheridge, fondatrice Connecting Cultures, Milano
- Yorgos Tzirtzilakis, critico arte + professore Univeristà di Volos
- Marti Peran, critico + professore Metropolis University
- Aneta Szylak, direzione Progress Foundation Wispa, Danzica
- Jerome Sans, direttore Palais de Tokio, Parigi
- Catherine David, direzione Documenta X
Urban interventions, workshops, films, debates
EVENT for NATIONAL DAY on CONTEMPORARY ART
- h.11.00 debate with artists in Formigine (Mo), Piazza del Castello; follow buffet.
- h. 17.30 opening at cloister Public Library Delfini (Cso Canalgrande, Modena)
- h. 19.00 performance at Dopo Lavoro Ferroviario (via N.Abate, Modena)
follow apetizer with music.
Info: ++39-059- 209558 Assessorato Cultura Provincia di Modena
++39- 059- 416368 Assessorato Cutltura Comune di Formigne
++39- 02- 6071623 aMAZE lab – www.amaze.it
Art works and installations will be produced specially for the occasion. Many of the invited artists will be in Italy for the first time.